Thursday 29 March 2012

Rhubarb & Ginger Compote

www.shropshirebreakfast.co.uk

I'm not a huge rhubarb fan, with one recipe exception, but I do like to see the lovely forced rhubarb stems when they arrive at Ludlow Market - a sign of spring.

I've made rhubarb compote today to go on the buffet table for breakfast. I have to admit it is very pretty. Any that doesn't get eaten will be pureed and frozen ready to go in the rhubarb dish I love which is Delia's rhubarb crumble ice cream.

I got the recipe from the Independent newspaper. In my opinion there was too much water in the recipe and too much ginger so I've altered it a bit.

The recipe needs to sit over night

125ml water
150g caster sugar
300g rhubarb ( one large stick )
40g fresh ginger grated

Put the water, sugar and freshly grated ginger into a pan and bring to the boil, then simmer for one minute.

If the rhubarb stick is quite thick then cut in half lengthways then chop into 1 cm pieces. Put into the sugar & ginger syrup and simmer for a minute.

Take off the heat & leave to cool, stirring occasionally. Put in the fridge overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment