Sunday 1 April 2012

Orange & Rhubarb Muffins

www.shropshirebreakfast.co.uk

I bought some new season rhubarb from Ludlow market last week - half I turned into rhubarb compote and the other stick I used to make rhubarb muffins. I've never made rhubarb muffins before and, though I say so myself, they were very nice.

I was thinking of putting ginger with them but I already had ginger in the compote so I decided on orange instead. You could put a teaspoon of dried ginger into the streusel mix or even grate some fresh ginger into the muffin mix.

I think muffins need to be eaten warm from the oven but they will last a day & can be reheated.

Preheat oven to 180 degrees

Line a 12 hole muffin tin with 10 muffin cases

If you don't have buttermilk use milk and add a tablespoon of lemon juice a few minutes before using ( thanks to @ashtonlancaster for that tip ). You could also use natural yoghurt. You can just use milk & this works fine but I find the muffins are much lighter when you use buttermilk.

Muffin Ingredients

Dry Ingredients
1.5 cups plain flour
0.5 cup caster sugar
2 tsp baking powder
grated rind of 1 orange

Wet ingredients
0.5 cup melted butter
1 cup plus 2tbs buttermilk ( this is a St Ivel 284ml pot )
1 egg

100g rhubarb ( about 1 large stick ), sliced lengthways then chopped into small pieces

Streusel Ingredients
0.25 cup plain flour
0.25 cup brown sugar
0.25 cup melted butter

Mix all the dry ingredients together well.

Whisk all of the wet ingredients till well combined.

Add the wet to the dry ingredients - mix it all together quickly until only just combined. You really mustn't overbeat muffin mix. Then quickly fold in the rhubarb. Divide between 10 muffin cases. I use an ice cream scoop.

Mix together the flour & brown sugar for the streusel topping. Add the butter slowly, mixing until ou get crumbs. You may not need all the butter. If you add it all in one go you may end up with sludge instead of crumbs.

Sprinkle the streusel topping over the muffins. Then bake for about 25 minutes until just golden but not too burnt.

No comments:

Post a Comment